Wednesday, March 12, 2014

From the meat of a coconut...

Ever since I moved to Arizona my hair has been a disaster. It is dry and tangles easily. It drives me crazy. So much so that I find myself:

+ thinking about it,
+ changing up my routine,
+ trying to find ways to make it healthier
+ complaining about it OFTEN
+ Seeking advice from friends that are accustomed to hair care in dry-Arizona.

When I first moved, my hair was still healthy. It felt good to run your hair through it. It was like silk.

Florida weather allowed me to wash it everyday without drying it out. The air provided the moisture my hair needed. Basically, my hair was low-maintenance.

That's what I want.

LOW MAINTENANCE.

But, that's not what I got.

The transformation wasn't immediate. I didn't start to see any drastic changes until a couple of months in. I was still washing my hair everyday not realizing that it was causing my hair to dry out and die.

So, I tried washing my hair every other day.It didn't really work. My hair was still dry and it was getting tangled easily.

So, I tried washing it every two days. This brought about the oily monster and I cut that real quick. I gave up and just started washing my hair every day. I could not stand the feeling of an oily head and hated the smell of the oil in my hair too.

Via
About two or three weeks ago, I decided enough was enough. I had tried live in products and everything in between. I would try less washing one more time. I washed my hair every 3 or 4 days. When my hair was really oily, I would just put my hair in variations of braids, ponytails, or buns.

 I solved the oily monster by buying myself my first can of dry shampoo. I have to say, I am loving it!


I had heard of all the amazing things that coconut oil can do before moving to Arizona. I remember seeing this post about it and thinking... "Eww... who would want to rub oil in their hair. Isn't that uncomfortable?" I was not digging the coconut-oil-as-a-hair-treatment thing.

But then, one of my favorite blogger friends commented on this post and suggested I look up coconut oil hair treatments.

And of course, because she suggested it, I started doing research, found this cool post and bought myself a bottle of coconut oil. That is what I was hinting at yesterday! I actually did a treatment yesterday before washing. It's too soon to say anything, but I am hoping for the best.

Hopefully this works.
If it does, I will be asking people to ruffle MY hair!
If not, maybe I can do my hair like this everyday!

XO


3 comments:

  1. I love Suave's dry shampoo! I only wash my hair twice a week and right after I wash it and it's completely dry and unstyled, I spritz my entire head with that stuff. My hair doesn't really get greasy until the middle or end of day 3 and if I'm wearing it down still by that point, I go through and spray my whole head again. When my hair is too dirty, my scalp gets extremely itchy, so I don't usually wear it past day three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, living you Florida you definitely have to take a shower every day with the muggy weather.
    I have been meaning to try dry shampoo! Glad to hear other reviews :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to check out Suave's dry shampoo. I use Dove right now but it still doesn't feel as good as newly washed hair does.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)