Thursday, January 16, 2014

First books of the year...

Today was such a rough day at work. I am feeling... raw. That's the best way I can put it.

It felt so good to come home today. I just needed the time to unwind and spend time away from people.

Reading sounds great right now. I have been reading up a storm these past few days. The books have been calling me and I will not avoid their call.This year is starting off strong. Three books to add to my list. All, except the last listed here, were hard to put down.

The first two books were out of my usual historical-fiction era. I was hesitant to read them since I am so used to books set in England, but I am glad I proceeded to read these books.

The Scarlet Contessa by Jeanne Kalogridis is set in Renaissance Italy and follows the half sister of Caterina Sforza and their plight together. I have always been intrigued by the Borgias and this book touches on the politics and intrigue that the Borgias were involved in. Read this book! You will love it.

The Turning of Anne Merrick by Christine Blevins is another book set in a period that I do not usually read about: the American Revolution. This book is basically a romance between Anne Merrick and her love Jack Hampton. I was weary of this book at first. I usually do not like books set during this time of American history but this book proved my instincts wrong. I loved it and am eager to read more books by Christine Blevins. Another must read.
 
Ambersley by Amy Atwell took me forever to read. I started it last year and never quite finished. I got distracted by some of the library books that I checked out and found myself picking it up again this year. I started over and was hooked. This time around, the book did not seem so slow. I would hate to give the happenings of the book away, so read the synopsis on Goodreads and pick it up now!


The Earl's Inconvenient Wife by Ruth Ann Nordin was a disappointment. I liked the story, but foudn myself annoyed with Claire, one of the main characters far too often. I almost put the book down less than half way through the book because she was just so childish. I honestly would not recommend this book. Sounds mean doesn't it?

Anyways... I am going to read now. I know it'll make me feel better!



XO 


36 in 2014
1. The Scarlet Contessa- Jeanne Kalogridis
2. The Turning of Anne Merrick- Christine Blevins
3. Ambersley- Amy Atwell
4. The Earl's Inconvenient Wife- Ruth Ann Nordin

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love to read! I do too but for some reason just haven't lately! You inspire me to start again!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)