Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014: Goals and such

Last year, I didn't really make resolutions. The only goal I made was the 24 in 2013 book goal. I am proud to say that I exceeded my goal and exceeded my expectations.

Throughout the year, I started using Goodreads. It is such a great site and an amazing tool to keep track of books I would like to read and to keep track of the books I have read. It even allows me to create a yearly reading goal!

I finished the last book of the year on New Year's Eve. It was number 50 on my list and it was damn good! The last two books on my list were phenomenal. I was entranced by the stories and it was so hard for me to put the book down. They were able to keep my attention during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.

The last three books of the year were:

The Darling Strumpett- Gillian Bagwell
     A fiction about the life of on of King Charles II's mistresses. Sometimes it was crude and unnecessarily graphic. I could not believe what I was reading at first. I thought it was slow and almost put the book down, but the pacing changed midway. By the end of the book, I found myself wanting to read more about this lady.

The Red Queen- Philippa Gregory
The Kingmaker's Daughter- Philippa Gregory

As i said before, the last two books were amazing. Again, Philippa Gregory shows up on my list of books and I am praising her writing. I found myself enthralled by the War of the Roses and the women that were silent players within that time period. I have said it before and I will say it again:

Pick up a Philippa Gregory book. You will not be disappointed!

Since, I was able to complete my goal, I plan on doing another reading goal for 2014. instead of doing 24 books, I will increase it by an extra book a month. So, I will go for 36 books in 2015. I promise myself that I will not read just to complete my goal. I will read for the joy of reading. I will not read a book unless I really am interested in it. I do not want to lose my love for reading so I will stick to these promises.

 This year, I will also create other resolutions (which can be seen on my 43 Things page). This year I will:
* Pay off both of my credit cards
* Blog (at least) once a week
*Make sure to do NaBloPoMo
*Keep in touch with my family!

I am looking forward to another amazing year!

XO


24 in 2013: Progress
1.Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
2. The Constant Princess- Philippa Gregory (Reread)
3. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory (Reread)
4. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn 5. Forever - Judy Blume
6. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
7. The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
8. The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory
9. The Other Queen - Philippa Gregory
10. Mr. Darcy's Diary - Amanda Grange
11.The Canterville Ghost- Oscar Wilde
12. Madame Bovary- Gustave Flaubert
13. The Abandoned- Amanda Stevens
14. Maid to Match- Deanne Gist 
15. The House of the Whispering Pines- Anna Katherine Green
16. Culture Smart! Philippines: A Quick Guide to Customs and Etiquette- Graham Collin-Jones
17. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood
18. Persuasion- Jane Austen
19. Ever After- Elswyth Thane
20. Sense and Sensibility- Jane Austen
21. The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
22. The Phantom Tollbooth- Norton Juster
23. Fifty Shades of Grey- E.L. James
24. Fifty Shades Darker- E.L.James
25. Fifty Shades Freed- E.L.James
26. The Sweetwater Trail- N.L. Campbell
27. Maggie's Journey (McKenna's Daughter) - Lena Nelson Dooley
28. Forget Me Not- Jade Goodmore
29. Texas Hold Him- Lisa Cooke
30. The Measure of Katie Calloway - Serena B. Miller
31. The Sweetest Kiss- Marie Higgins
32. The Mistress of Trevelyan- Jennifer St. Giles
33. The Secret Keeper- Sandra Byrd
34. My Lord Wicked- Cheryl Bolen
35. My Gilded Lily- Deborah Swift
36. The Sister Queens - Sophie Perinot
37. Lady of the English - Elizabeth Chadwick
38. The Wayward Muse- Elizabeth Hickey
39. Blue Asylum- Kathy Hepinstall
40. A Winter's Knight- Elizabeth Cole
41. Her Highness the Traitor- Susan Higginbotham
42. Mistress of Mourning- Karen Harper
43. Susanna and the Spy- Anna Elliot
44. the Queen of Last Hopes- Susan Higginbotham
45. The Tent- Margaret Atwood
46. The Rose Without a Thorn- Jean PLaidy
47. The Last Boleyn- Karen Harper
48. The Darling Strumpett- Gillian Bagwell
49. The Red Queen- Philippa Gregory
50. The Kingmaker's Daughter- Philippa Gregory

3 comments:

  1. You should definitely make a calendar for blogging! It makes it so much easier if you plan it out a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reading goal! That's awesome. :) Cheers to 2014

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great goals! I definitely have to be better at keeping in contact with my family now that I've been living in Florida. Whoops! Thanks for the little reminder ;)
    Happy 2014!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)