Thursday, August 29, 2013

A reading update

I have made progress on my new years resolution. I didn't realize that I was so close to my goal and I am extremely proud! ESPECIALLY since I have gone through major "reading-laziness" throughout the last few months.

This year, I am having a problem with quality over quantity. I want to make sure that I am reading books because I am having fun rather than reading them to meet my goal. You see, last year my goal was to read one book per month. I ended last year with 24 books. I was so proud of myself and used my ending count to create my goal for this year. My priority for this year was to:

*read the classics (especially those that I am ashamed to say I had never read before)

*reread some of my favorite classics

*not force myself to read just to make my goal.

So far, I have been on a roll. I have chosen books that I generally liked. If I did not like the books, I took my time with them and did not force myself to read when I was just not feeling it.

The last book I posted about was A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Since then, I have added four more books to my list. Since I am not really good at "reviewing" books, I will keep this short and sweet.

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Another Jane Austen book that I loved. It will never compare to Pride and Prejudice, but I was surprised at how engrossing this book was. Anne Elliot just as lovable as Elizabeth Bennet and she really did dig a place into my heart. I found myself hurting when she was hurting and wearing a cheesy smile when she was happy. Read this book if you love Jane Austen! It will not disappoint. 

Ever After- Elswyth Thane

I found this book at a thrift store for $.50. I bought it because it was cheap and it was an early 1900's printing of the book. SO, I had no idea what to expect when I started reading this book. So, you can imagine my surprise when I was slammed with two or three love stories. This is another book that has characters to fall in love with. I was engrossed and had a hard time putting this book down. I actually finished it in 2 days. Check this book out! You won't be disappointed. 

Sense and Sensibility- Jane Austen

I want to start by saying, "I LOVE Jane Austen". BUT... I did not LOVE this book. I read this book when I was younger and I totally forgot the agony I felt while reading it then. I was so excited to reread this book. AND I was doubly excited when I finished this book. The characters did not wow me. They actually annoyed me. I just could not stand the characters for some reason. I don't want to deter you from this book, but I had to tell you my true opinions of the book!

The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Yes. I had never read a Sherlock Holmes book before. That is why I was excited when I completed my Sherlock Holmes collection. I have been looking for all of the books at thrift stores and decided to read them ONLY when I had collected all of the books. I had no idea what to expect but I was impressed. The collection consists of short stories detailing the case of Sherlock Holmes and his companion Doctor Watson. This is definitely a fun and easy read! Now I just have to continue with the collection. 

SO, my list has grown. I have three more books on my currently reading list.
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Colon found out I had never read or heard about this book and insisted that I read this!)
The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Why not continue with the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick?)
A Tale of Two Cities- Charles Dickens (This book is long and I am not excited to start it. What do ya'll think about this book?)

XO


24 in 2013: Progress

1.Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
2. The Constant Princess- Philippa Gregory (Reread)
3. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory (Reread)
4. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
5. Forever - Judy Blume
6. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
7. The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
8. The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory
9. The Other Queen - Philippa Gregory
10. Mr. Darcy's Diary - Amanda Grange
11.The Canterville Ghost- Oscar Wilde
12. Madame Bovary- Gustave Flaubert
13. The Abandoned- Amanda Stevens
14. Maid to Match- Deanne Gist 
15. The House of the Whispering Pines- Anna Katherine Green
16. Culture Smart! Philippines: A Quick Guide to Customs and Etiquette- Graham Collin-Jones
17. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood
18. Persuasion- Jane Austen
19. Ever After- Elswyth Thane
20. Sense and Sensibility- Jane Austen
21. The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

2 comments:

  1. Ever After is one of my very favorites but it is third in a series (Dawn's Early Light and Yankee Stranger come first). Hope you find and read them too! There are also four that follow in Thane's famous Williamsburg novels. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first half of Sense and Sensibilty is just absolute misery. It certainly picks up towards the end, but Jane had much better books -- Like Northanger Abbey.

    Love those years you can devote to the classics! I used to do that in high school and college with my summer vacations, not so much anymore, but I should start again!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)