Wednesday, July 24, 2013

17 of 24 down...

I have been obsessed with reading lately. I go through phases where I cannot get enough of reading. 
I'm in one of those phases right now. 
Goodreads has been my best friend. 

My reading frenzy has led to my being able to add two more books to my 24 Books in 2013 challenge. 
Let's add some more books to this little list of mine.

While I was thrift shopping a week or two ago, I came across this "culture guide". It was titled,
Culture Smart! Philippines: A Quick Guide to Customs and Etiquette by Graham Collin-Jones. I saw the title and decided to buy it. You see, it piqued my interest because my mother is Filipina. This book is pretty cheesy. BUT it does manage to pinpoint Filipino mannerisms and trends. It attributes these to Filipino beliefs and it helped me to see my mother and her family in a different light. Again, this book is pretty cheesy BUT I definitely would recommend it to those that are interested in why Filipinos do things a certain way. 

On Monday, I finished reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I read this book in high school and fell in love with this author. Have you ever read a book, loved it, and forgot much of the story after a few years? Well, that is what happened to me. That is why I decided to take this book of my bookshelf and re-read it. This book is a dystopian novel. It will throw you through loops and is a book that requires a lot of focus. There are so many literary devices (whether it be motifs, themes, lack of punctuation, or juxtaposition) that will further the meaning of an otherwise meaningless situation. 
Read this book. That is an order!

XO 



24 in 2013: Progress

1.Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
2. The Constant Princess- Philippa Gregory (Reread)
3. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory (Reread)
4. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
5. Forever - Judy Blume
6. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
7. The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
8. The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory
9. The Other Queen - Philippa Gregory
10. Mr. Darcy's Diary - Amanda Grange
11.The Canterville Ghost- Oscar Wilde
12. Madame Bovary- Gustave Flaubert
13. The Abandoned- Amanda Stevens
14. Maid to Match- Deanne Gist 
15. The House of the Whispering Pines- Anna Katherine Green
16. Culture Smart! Philippines: A Quick Guide to Customs and Etiquette- Graham Collin-Jones
17. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

1 comment:

  1. I range about 30 to 40 books a year, and it always amazes me when people have goals of 100! Where do they get the time!?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)