Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Projects...I am finally finished!

Today is going to be extremely busy at work and I am using this time to relax me before I start my day. I am in a great mood and am excited to tell you about some of my "art" project!

Last summer (the summer of 2010), I became really close with a neighbor of mine. It is actually a funny story. 

It started during my undergrad years at UF. I started working in the Organic lab stockroom when I was a Sophomore and I enjoyed working there because I got to interact with grad students that were working as TA's. I got to know many of the TA's throughout the years, but I never really became "close" friends with any of them until my last couple of months working there. 

During my shifts, I would often come across this TA named Judit. She was so cool to talk to and I enjoyed the little conversations we would have whenever she would come up to the stockroom window. One day, when I was walking back to my apartment, I saw Judit drive by my apartment but I did not make the connection until we had a conversation about our apartments. We were talking about something and she asked me "Where do you live?". I responded with "------- Apartments" and her eyes lit up. We realized that we were practically neighbors. She lived just a few apartments down. It is crazy that we lived so close for a year and had no idea. 

So, we started hanging out. We constantly had dinner together. We would go over each others apartments. We would watch movies. During one of out movie night, I took out a knitting (or crochet... I cannot remember which one) project and she brought over a cross stitch project.[[I just realized that this makes me sound like an old lady]]. When I saw her cross stitch, I was immediately intrigued. I had her show me how to cross stitch and I ended up going to Michaels to get a kit. 

I thought it would be a good idea to buy a kit for my first cross stitch project. I could make my mistakes on this one. So, I bought one of a geisha and immediately started to work on it. The one thing that I did not expect, was the amount of time that I needed to dedicate to it. It took me forever and my (self-diagnosed) ADD kicked in. 

While I was working on the Geisha, I started to come up with so many cross stitch project ideas. I wanted to cross stitch something for my boyfriend. I wanted it to be something that I know he would enjoy and that he would actually put up in his area in our room. While surfing the Internet for ideas, I came across the Manchester United logo. That is one of his favorite soccer teams and I knew it was perfect. I found an online pattern maker and converted the picture into a cross stitch pattern. The pattern did not come out perfect, but I knew he  would enjoy it. SO, I printed out the pattern, bought the thread, and started the project. 

So, at this point, I had half of the Geisha project done and was starting the Manchester United project. Halfway through the Manchester United project, I got bored and put it away.

Now, a year later, I have finally finished BOTH projects. It took a lot of patience and I am extremely proud of them. 

Here is the Geisha cross stitch:


I could not get a good picture of it. You can see the imperfections but I think it came out good for my first cross stitching project.

This is the Manchester United project.



My boyfriend loved it! 

Now I just have to find a frame for them. 

Just so you know, I have a couple more cross stitching projects in the works and am almost (as in an hours worth work of work will do it) done with one.

Hope you like them! 



On my way to the doctors and then off to work. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. hey
    i love the Man Utd project.
    can u please tell me where u got the pattern from.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)