Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The greatest thing you'll ever learn...

Lately I have been in a funk. I have tried to conceal it and have tried to fool my friends into thinking that I am my normal self but I honestly am having a hard time. I noticed that I have been trying to consume my thoughts with other things, so as not to think about the things that are bothering me. 

 This funk started when I read Twilight. I read it because I wanted to be able to legitimately critique the story. I did not want to say that I hated Twilight strictly based on the movie. So, I read the series. I was so engrossed by the love between Bella and Edward. I literally fell in love with the love that was so obviously between them. When I was reading, I constantly thought "I want that".

After finishing the books, I told myself that I would be OK. I started popping in movies, and reading other books to distract myself. But, the series still consumed me. I was so bothered by the way that this story affected me, that I decided that I had to think this funk through. I started to realize that this was not the first time that I was so consumed by a story.

When have I seen myself like this before? ...

1)After watching the love between Satine and Christian flourish in Moulin Rouge. I cannot tell you how many times I would replay the movie and I would never get tired of it. To this day, the ending of the movie makes me cry. I can even sing all the songs and recite all the words to the movie.

2)After watching The Notebook. The romance between Ali and Noah and the dedication that they had for each other made me long for a love like that.

3) After reading Pride and Prejudice (and watching the many movies that have come out), I have obsessed about the relationship between Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. 

4) More movies like Ever After, Romeo and Juliet, etc


What do all of these stories have in common? The love between the two characters. Not only do these stories have elements (like settings, time periods) that already fascinate me, but they also have relationships that make you envy the characters.

So, thinking it through and realizing that I am envious of the love I see in these movies and books has helped me put things in perspective. After thinking about them, I realized that the absence of my boyfriend has thrown me further into the funk. I realized that I do have what Bella, Satine, and Ali had. I have an amazing boyfriend that would do anything for me. I am so lucky and I now know that I do not need all the drama that happens in those books. All I need is his love and the understanding that we have.


Lourdes 


"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"
-Moulin Rouge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)