Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Longing for happiness...

"We wish to be happier than other people; and this is difficult, for we believe others to be happier than they are"

Charles de Montesquieu



In high school, I always looked at others and wished I was as cool and as happy as them. I wondered why I was not as happy and I became determined to surround myself with people that seemed to be content with themselves and with life. Surrounding myself with these people seemed the best way to improve myself. I thought that the cause of their happiness would also make me happy.
 It was during this feat, that I started to realize that people were not as happy as they let on and as an outsider I was not really perceiving the truth. Once I realized this, I became determined to be content with my life and with all the blessings that are present within it.

So, don't compare yourself to others. It will only mislead you and cause strife.

~Lourdes

1 comment:

  1. Interesting insight into happiness and our perception of it. Deep down inside I don't think most people are very happy at all judging by things like the high divorce rate, drug and alcohol abuse and all the mental health care people have.

    I have a quote for you I read the other day that might sort of deal with this. It was on a monastery website so I don't know exactly who wrote it. Here goes:

    "All our expectations of other people are projections of our own self centeredness."

    I had to write it on paper when I first saw it beacuse it jumped out at me. It's harsh but it's true. Everything we expect out of others be it good or bad is sort of a reflection on ourselves and our own perceptions of things. I'm still trying to really "get it".

    Interesting stuff you have here Lourdes.

    -the mailman

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)