Wednesday, October 20, 2010

...just holding hands



" If I fell in love with you

would you promise to be true

And help me understand

'Cause I've been in love before

And I've found that love is more

Than just holding hands



If I gave my heart to you

I must be sure from the very start

that you would love me more than her


If I trust in you, oh please

don't run and hide,

if I love you too, oh please

don't hurt my pride like her


'Cause I couldn't stand the pain

And I would be sad

If our new love was in vain


So I hope you see that I

would love to love you

And that she will cry

when she learns we are two


'Cause I couldn't stand the pain

And I would be sad

If our new love was in vain


So I hope you see that I

would love to love you

And that she will cry

when she learns we are two

If I fell in love with you"



-The Beatles




I was walking on campus with my headphones on, when this song started to play. It is one of my favorite songs to sing along to, but I had never really listened to the lyrics. Of course, I knew the words, but I never let them sink in. Never let myself contemplate the meaning.


Finally, I let myself listen to the words, and I started crying. I don't exactly know why, but I did. It made me think about love; how fickle it can be, and how easy one can be hurt when love is involved. I have noticed that love can be so confusing. The more you think about it and try to make sense of it, the more questions you have.

You always hear about "young love" or "teen love". People often scoff at it as if it is something that will not last. Honestly, I often look at couples in high school and think "They will not make it past high school". But is that necessarily how it has to be? Is there truth in what I am thinking? Can you really fall in love when you are in high school? I know it may "feel" like love, but is it real? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I honestly believe that love, no matter what age you are, is real. But, just because there is that feeling of love does not mean that the relationship will last, or that no one will get hurt.

I have found that actions hurt the most when there is love present. And, once someone has been hurt, it is harder for them to allow themselves to love again. This may be the reason why I started crying when I heard the song and actually listened to the lyrics. The song portrays the hesitation that is present when you are starting to love someone, yet don't want to give in to that love because of past experiences and hurts. It expresses that love not only has a physical aspect but an emotional aspect.

With love, comes trust. And this trust can make or break a relationship. This song made me cry because of the meaning in it, and because it hit so close to home. I HAVE been in a situation where I have been hesitant to allow myself to love someone; hesitant to allow someone to break down the barrier that I have built, and become someone that is a large present in my life; hesitant to allow someone in my inner circle and know my secrets, my passions, and the things that make me laugh. But, I have learned that you should give people chances, especially if you love them. Allow people to earn your trust, and to show you that they are different. Let them prove to you that they love you. You will never know what will happen, unless you give it a chance. Whether the ending is good or bad, you will learn something and become wiser.

So, just open your heart and allow the love to come pouring out. Take your loves hand and give them a kiss. Show the love. Just realize that "love is more than just holding hands".
Lourdes :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)