Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Delights




Then followed the beautiful season...summer...
Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow




It's that time of year again. Sun. Beach. Sand. Can you guess what time of year? If you guessed SUMMER then

ding

ding

ding

you are correct. Summer has always been amazing for me. It was always a time that I got to see my father and spend time at the beach. I am pretty sure that I am NOT the only one who looks forward to summertime.

But, I have noticed that the reasons that I looked forward to summertime have changed significantly over the years. When I was younger, I equated summertime with traveling. Usually traveling to spend time with my father. My sisters and I traveled to many places in South America, the Caribbean and throughout the United States. Summers started off as an adventure. A plane flight to a new place. My sisters and I flying as "unaccompanied minors" together. Being picked up by my father and step mom and reuniting with my half-siblings. Then, it was getting acquainted with the surroundings and just being at my fathers house. As we started to get used to the surroundings, the glamour and glitz always wore off. Things became redundant. But we always loved summer because of the endless beach visits, the endless pool "plays" that we put on, and just because there was no school. There wasn't a curfew, a bedtime, or a time that we would HAVE to wake up by.

Things haven't changed that much. I still see summer as "relaxation" time, but it isn't the same. With growing up, comes responsibilities; Responsibilities that DO NOT go away just because summer decides to make it's entrance into my life. And, although this is true, summer still has it's little delights.


1) Endless reading time

To some, this may not be a summer delight. But it is one to me. Reading is something that makes me feel so good. It pulls me out of my world and brings me into the life of the character in the book. What I love, is that a book can be brought anywhere, and I can read at the beach, at work, etc.

2) Ice cream pit stops

Ever since I was a young girl, summers were always spent with my father. My father took us to the ice cream shop everyday! I might not have daily visits to the ice cream shop, but I always have ice cream in my freezer.

3) Summer fruits

If you have been keeping up with my "365 Days of Happiness" posts, you know that I love fruits. Summer is the time of year when the best fruits are in season. Thus, it is the best time of year to just sit down and relax to a bowl of fruits.

4) Spur of the moment family visits

My family is famous for the random, surprise visits during the summer. Although this is quite hectic, it still is a summer delight. A time to go to the springs to relax and get to know each other.

5) Freedom and More time to hang-out with friends

During the school year, it seems as if there is never enough time to hang out with friends. But, when summer time rolls around, even school nights seem to be free. I think it is just the summer atmosphere. The sense of responsibility seems to fly out of the window even if the amount of work does not change.

There are so many more summer delights and it is sad to think that school is about to start. But,If you can think of any summer delights, feel free to comment

++++++++++++++++++++++++++Lourdes+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


























No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)