Monday, April 26, 2010

TRUST ?!?

"reliance on another person or entity. Having faith in others and believing them"
-Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust



We always talk about trusting people. Trusting our friends, family, significant other. We all claim we know the meaning of "trust". But, I have been noticing lately that everyone has their own definition of trust. If you do a quick search (google) you will find the definition given above. Is this the definition of trust that you would give? AND who would you consider trustworthy? Are YOU trustworthy?

I am asking these questions because I have run into a situation recently. I gave my trust to someone. I told them my feelings and have found that my feelings weren't respected. And honestly, It hurt. So I thought about it.

and thought.

and thought.

and thought some more.

AND this is what I came up with.

I think that the definition is slightly correct. I do beleive that when you trust somebody you do rely on them and have faith in them. But, I think the definition does not indicate the emotions that come with trust. I think that with trust, there is love. Maybe not the romantic love. But, love nonetheless. You love someone so much that you are allowing yourself to become vulnerable by telling something about yourself that people rarely know about you.

I consider myself someone who trusts everyone until they prove me wrong and am noticing that this should not be the route I take. I shouldn't give trust too easily. They must show me that they deserve my confidence. I am finding that you set the stages for betrayal when you trust too easily.

"Each betrayal begins with trust"
-Phish



It's sad but true. This quote is perfect. But, It's extremely sad that something so beautiful, such as trust, can turn into something so ugly. Is this human nature? Do we all betray someone at least once in our lives? Do we betray people by accident because we don't realize the implications and indications of our actions? And if this is the case... Is this a good excuse? I don't know the answers to all of these questions, but I do beleive that people do not always realize what their actions are reflecting. But does this make it ok? I think not. (But remember, this is my opinion!). Whether we mean to or not, a betrayal is a betrayal. And it still hurts.

Sooooo.... who can we trust? Sure, many people would say yes (they are trustworthy). But, I am finding out that very few people are. I am finding that my parents are right. They have always told me that there are few people that you can count on, and a portion of those people have been there throughout my whole life. These people are my family. My mother. My father. My 3 sisters (Alicia, Christina, Natalia). AND my brother (Eduardo). These are the people that truly have your best interest at heart. That love you and don't want to see you hurt. The people that truly do become sad when they see that you are upset. But, is there anyone else?

I am finding that there ARE more people. There just won't be billions more out there. The people that are trustworthy will be the people who TRULY care about you. The people who are there for you through thick and thin. The people who are willing to take care of you. The people who are not just there for a good time.

I've rambled for too long but I wanted to part with this final quote.

~ One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope. ~
Steven Deitz


bonne soirée
Je t'aime

<3 Lourdes

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the Recent situation, whaever it was. But you're right, you can't give trust too easily, I've learned that. I used to trust everyone I met, and I'm prob still a little too trusting. The saddest part though, is that sometimes the people you care about aren't as trustworthy as you thought, and that's when that betrayal really hurts

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)