Friday, April 16, 2010

Sonnet 18- "Shall i compare thee to a summer's day?"


"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee."
-William Shakespeare


It's funny how many people remember the first lines of this sonnet by William Shakespeare. I myself think of William Shakespeare when I hear the first lines. But, upon hearing it recited by a friend the other day, I realised that I had no idea what work this line came from. This inspired me to do a some detective work and I found Sonnet 18. It is beautiful indeed. But, reading it has made me question a thing or two( or at least think about things).
Yet, one line struck a chord. Line 7. "And every fair from fair sometime declines...". I interpreted this as "every beautiful thing will, in time, lose it's beauty". Which, I guess, is true. Take, for instance, the beautiful flowers. Yes, physical beauty does fall away. But does this also pertain to the beauty that is present inside of a person? Will the personality of a person slowly fall away like the petals of a flower? This is scary. Yet, I don't think they do. Maybe physical beauty does fall away, but the beauty that counts does not! This is important. I put too much thought into my outer appearance. My looks. My clothes. My home. My car. Yet, I don't pay enough attention to my inner growth. My inner beauty. I worry about me, myself, and I. It's sad.
So. This is my resolution. My resolution to stop worrying about my appearance, and start working on my inner beauty. To start being kind to others and to stop judging. To start realizing that, no matter what people say or do, I am amazing. I am smart. And nobody can take that away.
Just remember. You are amazing and you are beautiful.
Until later
Je t'aime
-Lourdes <3

1 comment:

  1. This is the one I like the most, and the one that made me think the most.
    I remember having similar thoughts about line 7 (I think I did an assignment on this in high school lol). But I always interpreted it as outer beauty. It never ocurred to me that the poem could mean inner beauty as well. And that's because back when I had read this, I hadnt seen inner beauty decline. But I've seen a lot of people change, and it doesn't always seem like it's for the better. yet I still think it can't happen unless one let's it happen. So I'm glad to hear about your resolution.

    Anyway, I really like your post, and getting some insight into your thoughts. And you are right, you're beautiful, inside and out, no matter what anyone says or does.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and definitely enjoy reading them. Please be kind! :)